Last week we were able to have our first event of 2021, and it was fantastic! It was so great to see so many of our families able to get out and enjoy the beautiful spring weather. We were especially lucky to have the Easter Bunny show up for pictures, and even a trip down the slide!
With the warmer weather, we all need to watch out for pedestrians, especially children who don’t watch as they should. With the closing of the bridge on 29 for a scheduled 120 days, we may have some increase in traffic on Main Street, which is also a concern. However, increased traffic can also mean increased business for our wonderful West Jefferson establishments. We are pretty good at looking out for each other, and finding the silver lining in situations. So, be a little more careful, and be a little more patient, and it will be a wonderful spring here in the Village.
Meetings on April 5 and 19 at the Community Center
Jefferson Township Board of Trustees
Meetings on April 7 and 21 at 6:30pm in Township Hall, 225 Cemetery Rd., WJ
WJ Board of Education
Meeting on April 12, 7pm in the WJ High School Auditorium
Meeting on April 7 at 6:30pm in Village Council chambers, 28 E. Main St., WJ
Water Bills are due on or before April 15 to avoid late charges.
Try our new auto pay service. Stop in to sign up at the Water Department office, 28 E. Main St., West Jefferson
Tax season is here! If you need assistance with your West Jefferson income tax, please visit the Tax Department at 28 E. Main Street. We will have special Saturday hours on May 8 and 15 from 8am-noon.
Local and State taxes are due May 17.
Check the website for weekly activities and programs.
Download the new WJ App
Village of West Jefferson Ohio
Available at the Apple Store or
New App Available Now
The Village has a new smart phone app called:
Village of West Jefferson Ohio
This free app is available at Google Play for Android users, or at the Apple Store for Apple users.
With three main screens, Community, Police and Mayor’s Office, this new app will give users access to more information, allow easier communication with various Village departments, and hopefully will be a great resource to the residents and visitors to the Village of West Jefferson.
Village of West Jefferson
Income Tax Information
· The last day to file for tax year 2020 is May 17, 2021.
· The Village tax rate is 1%.
· The Village Tax office will be open on Saturday May 8 and 15 from 8am-noon
· Retired residents, with no taxable income must still check the “Retired” box and sign and return the form to the Village Tax Department.
· All residents of West Jefferson 18 years and older MUST file a Village Tax return, EVEN IF NO INCOME WAS EARNED IN 2020 AND NO TAX IS DUE.
· In general taxable income includes but is not limited to: gross compensation, salaries, wages, commissions, bonuses, incentive payments, profit sharing, stipends, stock options, deferred compensation, directors fees, property in lieu of cash, vacation & sick pay, severance pay, tax shelter plans, net profit from business & professional activities, net far income, net income from rentals, gambling & lottery winnings, unless specifically exempted by the Village of West Jefferson or exempted from Ohio municipal income taxes by Ohio law.
· In general, non-taxable income includes but is not limited to: dividends, interest, military pay, income form intangible property, pensions, unemployment compensation, certain government assistance payments and social security benefits.
· All local tax forms are available at the Village Tax office, 28 E. Main Street, at the library and on the Village website, WestJeffersonOhio.gov.